Thursday, January 28, 2010

Some days are harder than others

Experience is the teacher of all things.
-Julius Caesar

France has been so good to me and my family I really should not complain.
But, as in life, some days are harder than others.

One of my biggest challenges living here in the south of France is I am not French, neither in my spoken language nor my ideologies. In that sense, I am very American. However, since I consider myself a Gringa (an American with an open mind to other cultures that has spent many years outside of the United States), I have earned and honed my adaptation skills to any kind of environment and culture. So in that aspect, I am learning from this new experience and welcome it, even if its difficult.

What I find hardest about living here is the fact that my friends and family are so far away. I really miss them since they are an important part of my life. I can talk, Skype, email...but the fact is, I miss their physical presence next to me. Although I am happy here with my husband and kids, I do miss cooking, shopping, and just spending time with my friends and family.

I really miss that. I really miss them.


No comments:

Post a Comment